Join the Ken Kennedy Institute Team. Apply now for the Data Scientist position. Apply at: https://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24862.
Open Date: 10/19/2020
Close Date: 11/02/2020
Salary Information: $54,100-$89,300
The data scientist will manage clinical research projects involving the application of novel machine learning algorithms; identify core requirements and key stakeholders for successful project completion; and identify project bottlenecks, find solutions, and push project implementation forward. S/he will manage all aspects of data access and data cleaning/standardization in order to prepare raw data for feature creation. Successful candidates will work within multiple teams and need to be self-driven and comfortable working independently.
This is a benefits eligible two-year term limited position with the possibility of extension based upon need and available funding.
Education Required: Master's Degree
Substitution for Education Requirement: May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.
Education Preferred: Ph.D. or an advanced degree in computer science, math, statistics, physics, computational biology, or a closely related field.
Experience Required: 5 years
Type of Experience: Related experience in computation and data.
Substitution for Experience Requirement: May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
- Experience which may include experience gained as an undergraduate/graduate student or training gained subsequent to graduation is acceptable
- Experience in Python
- Experience applying statistics to clinical data
- Experience applying machine learning algorithms to clinical data
- Experience in cloud environments
- Experience with Linux and Spark (or related)
- Experience in imaging data
- Experience in designing and implementing efficient algorithms
- Experience in application and design of machine learning algorithms to large data sets
- Experience developing data pipelines that include model application
License/Certification Required: None
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication, analytical, and research skills
- Superior scientific and numerical skills with meticulous attention to details and accuracy
- Proficient and comprehensive knowledge of information management, knowledge management and publication management
- Ability to work in a team environment, to participate actively, to collaborate and to motivate others in the lab
- Excellent critical thinking, technical, data collection and interviewing skills
- Excellent statistical and graphical analysis skills
- Ability to maintain quality, safety and/or infection control standards
- Ability to plan and schedule effectively
- Excellent teamwork and orgnaizational skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment on a wide range of projects
- SQL ability and knowledge of relational databases, data modeling, and schema normalization techniques
- Knowledge of patient databases
- Internal Contacts - Contact with Rice University leadership, faculty, students, and staff
- External Contacts - Contact with industrial partners, corporations, government agencies and officials, NGOs, and foundations
Physical Demands: Requires working in front of a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day)
- Typical office environment
- Monday-Friday: 8a.m. - 5p.m.
- May be required to work overtime and/or weekends to support programs, to meet deadlines, or in the event of an emergency
Essential Personnel: Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of Civility: Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, cosnideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the RIce community and with the public.
Security Sensitive: As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
- Conducts complex independent specialized research and experiments
- Collects, tracks and analyzes data using spreadsheets and databases
- Communicates the results of research through verbal presentations, written reports, and written articles submitted for publication
- Monitors research budget
- Assists in the administration of research project
- May lead a team of research personnel
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Additional Functions or Information:
- Manages clinical research projects involving the application of novel machine learning algorithms
- Identifies core requirements and key stakeholders for successful project completion
- Identifies project bottlenecks, finds solutions, and pushes project implementation forward
- Manages all aspects of data access and data cleaning/standardization in order to prepare raw data for feature creation
- Collaborates with Rice faculty to apply and develop data science and machine learning algorithms for clinical data
- Collaborates with data team to provide information and decision support
- Creates presentations which communicate data insights and findings with external technical and non-technical audiences
- Functions as part of multiple teams across institutions
- Coordinates with multiple scientists to move grant process forward
- Develops and writes high-quality grant proposal narratives and supporting documents
- Supervises and shepherds papers derived from projects
- Manages and trains graduate students when applicable
- Communicates with research partners to improve the research infrastructure
- Leads in the development of modules and tools to perform various tasks as required