Join the Ken Kennedy Institute Team. Apply now for the Data Science Fellow position. Apply at: https://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24863.
Open Date: 10/19/2020
Close Date: 11/02/2020
Salary Information: $42,100-$67,400
The data science fellow will work on clinical research projects involving the application of novel machine learning algorithms; be responsible for all aspects of data access and data cleaning/standardization in order to prepare raw data for feature creation; and work with Rice faculty to apply and develop data science and machine learning algorithms for clinical data.
Successful candidates will work within multiple teams and need to be self-driven and comfortable working independently.
This is a benefits eligible two-year term limited position with the possibility of extension based upon need and available funding.
Education Required: Bachelor's Degree
Substitution for Education Requirement: May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.
Education Preferred: Master's degree or an advanced degree in computer science, math, statistics, physics, computational biology, or a closely related field.
Experience Required: 3 years
Type of Experience: Related experience in computation and data.
Substitution for Experience Requirement: May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
- Experience which may include experience gained as an undergraduate/graduate student or training gained subsequent to graduation is acceptable
- Experience in Python
- Experience applying statistics to clinical data
- Experience applying machine learning algorithms to clinical data
- Experience in cloud environments
- Experience with Linux and Spark (or related)
- Experience in imaging data
- Experience in designing and implementing efficient algorithms
- Experience in application and design of machine learning algorithms to large data sets
- Experience developing data pipelines that include model application
License/Certification Required: None
- Knowledge of software statistical packages such as Stata, SAS, R, or HLM
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Ability to build reports
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills including proofreading
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent teamwork and orgnaizational skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment on a wide range of projects
- SQL ability and knowledge of relational databases, data modeling, and schema normalization techniques
- Knowledge of patient databases
- Internal Contacts - Contact with Rice University leadership, faculty, students, and staff
- External Contacts - Contact with industrial partners, corporations, government agencies and officials, NGOs, and foundations
Physical Demands: Requires working in front of a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day)
- Typical office environment
- Monday-Friday: 8a.m. - 5p.m.
- May be required to work overtime and/or weekends to support programs, to meet deadlines, or in the event of an emergency
Essential Personnel: Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of Civility: Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, cosnideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the RIce community and with the public.
Security Sensitive: As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
- Participates in the design, planning and implementation of research projects and data analysis
- Identifies, locates and obtains data/information
- Utilizes statistical software to quantify data
- Designs database models
- Builds automated reporting solutions
- Manipulates and cleans-up data
- Completes data analysis
- Reports research findings
- Ensures information presented is valid and accurate
- Develops presentations and reports
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Additional Functions or Information:
- Works on clinical research projects involving the application of novel machine learning algorithms
- Responsible for all aspects of data access and data cleaning/standardization in order to prepare raw data for feature creation
- Works with Rice faculty to apply and develop data science and machine learning algorithms for clinical data
- Works with data team to provide information and decision support
- Creates presentations to communicate data insights and findings with external technical and non-technical audiences
- Functions as part of multiple teams across institutions
- Coordinates with multiple scientists to move grant process forward
- Writes high-quality grant proposal narratives and supporting documents
- Works with graduate students when applicable
- Communicates with research partners to improve the research infrastructure
- Leads in the development of modules and tools to perform various tasks as required